On May 25th, the Drake Libraries completed the migration to a new platform for SuperSearch.
Designed to increase efficiency, the new system should provide faculty, staff and students a more streamlined research experience while also significantly reducing the time required for library faculty and staff to maintain search platforms.
New System Highlights
- You can simultaneously search the library catalog and SuperSearch in a single interface.
- Many features remain the same in the new SuperSearch, including the ability to search across print and electronic collections, limit by peer-reviewed content, and export citations.
- While you can search SuperSearch without logging in, using your Drake credentials to log in allows you to access content licensed by the libraries and provides other options, such as saving searches and accessing and managing your library account.
- The next phase of this transition, which we hope will take place in 2017, will connect SuperSearch to the print collections of several other libraries in Iowa, including the three Regents’ universities, Wartburg College, Grand View University, and others. Drake users will be able to search across the physical collections of, and place requests for physical materials from, those institutions. This collaboration will not include access to databases and e-journals, but it is nonetheless a major step forward in our access to scholarly content.
Mastering the New System and Migrating Personal Content
- We hope you find the new system to be fairly intuitive to use. Formal training opportunities will be offered in the fall. Once the system is running, librarians will also be happy to provide individual demonstrations and training upon request.
- A SuperSearch research guide provides additional information about the new system and how to successfully use it. The guide also has a form for providing feedback, so you can help us continue to improve your experience using SuperSearch. We will be adding more information, tips, and tutorials to this guide in the coming days.
- The current SuperSearch will be available through June 30, 2016. If you have folders set up under your personal log-in, please sign in to your SuperSearch account, open any folders with content you want, mark the items you want to save, and then use either the save or email options. Contact a reference librarian for further assistance.